Special Tree-Planting Honors Lather’s Five Years CarbonFree®
Wednesday, 26 June 2013
Throughout 2013, Carbonfund.org will be recognizing our business partners who are reaching their fifth and sixth years as CarbonFree® Partners. Part of this recognition includes special tree-plantings, 10 for each partnership year, by Carbonfund.org in honor of each of these anniversary Partners.
The CarbonFree® Business Partnership and this special tree-planting commemoration augment the environmental responsibility that many of our business partners exhibit in their ongoing operations. One such partner, LATHER, producing skin care products that inspire a healthier more radiant life, maintains various sustainability initiatives as part of their environmental commitment.
LATHER offers its customers an in-store packaging recycling program and has pursued more environmentally sustainable plastic packaging made with EcoPure, an organic compound that accelerates natural biodegradation in plastics.
Since 2008, LATHER has partnered with Carbonfund.org to offset the carbon footprint of their corporate office. To date, LATHER has offset over 40,000 pounds of CO2 emissions through projects supporting renewable energy, methane destruction, and reforestation. This equates to the amount of carbon dioxide sequestered each year by almost 16 acres of US forests.
When notified of the 50 trees planted for their 2013 CarbonFree® anniversary, our friends at LATHER pointed out that the traditional five year anniversary theme is wood.
LATHER acknowledged the benefits of tree planting efforts and the wide range of ecosystem services that trees contribute, including their ability to:
– Produce oxygen – without which life would not be possible
– Absorb carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, to mitigate climate change
– Improve local air and water quality by filtering pollutants
– Restore biodiversity while providing habitat and nutrition for wildlife
– Control flooding by minimizing runoff and topsoil loss
– Protect against storms such as Southeast Asia’s monsoons and hurricanes in the Caribbean
– Help regulate water and nutrient cycles (e.g., phosphorous and nitrogen)
– Create jobs managing tree nurseries, planting and care
– Provide various aesthetical, spiritual and cultural benefits to local communities
We’re proud to partner with LATHER to help them continue their commitment to environmental sustainability and to helping others lead a more radiant life.