Location: Lindsay, California
Project type: Waste-to-Energy Biodigester
Standard: Chicago Climate Exchange
Verification/Validation: SES, Inc.
- Mitigates climate change
- Waste management
- Controls odor & reduces local air pollution
- Reduces local water pollution
- Locally sourced, renewable energy
- Development of new technologies
- Alternative source of income for local farmers
Location: Nanri Island of Putian City, Fujian Province of China
Project type: Wind Energy
Standard: Verified Carbon Standard
Verification/Validation: Det Norske Veritas (DNV) International Climate Change Services
- Mitigates climate change
- Limits environmental impact of energy production
- No localized water or air pollution
- Locally sourced, renewable energy
- Development of new technologies
- Clean energy job opportunities
- Stimulates local tourism
Carbonfund.org Foundation welcomes media inquiries about climate change - including solutions & policies, sustainability, corporate social responsibility, carbon offsets and the carbon market, or Carbonfund.org's work.
A few items to keep in mind:
- Carbonfund.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Our name is Carbonfund.org Foundation. Please do not refer to us as Carbon Fund, CarbonFund, or Carbonfund.
- Carbonfund.org promotes climate change education and solutions, including carbon offsetting and green power, and reaches out to individuals, businesses & organizations to fight climate change.
- New Year’s Resolutions: 5 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint Now - Tonic January 6, 2011
- Get Paid to Recycle Your Old Gadgets - Business Standard January 3, 2011
- Go Green with Nokia Ovi Store - Telecomyatra (India) December 31, 2010
- TOTV (Tour of the Valley Race) Succeeds in Second Year - Youngstown Vindicator December 29, 2010
- Last Minute Green Gifts for the Holidays - National Examiner December 24, 2010
- A Push to Make Air Travel More Environmentally Friendly - San Jose Mercury News December 14, 2010
- Lifecycle of an Eco Flower - Earth911 December 10, 2010
- Cancun Gears up for Annual Climate Change Conference - Marketplace on Public Radio November 29, 2010
- 4 Ways to Reduce the Impact of Your Holiday Travel - Care2 November 18, 2010
- Experts Weigh in on Election’s Effect on Energy Initiatives and the Environment - SmartBriefNovember 18, 2010
- The Impact of the 2010 Elections on Energy, Environment & Economy - Widmeyer Blog November 15, 2010
- Checkins for Charity: The Rise of Geo-Social Good - Mashable November 16, 2010
- Make the World Better…Just Buy Books - Take Part November 16, 2010
- CEA Announces Best of Innovations Design and Engineering Honorees - TMC/TechZone 360November 9, 2010
- Holiday Gift Guide for 2010 - U.S. News & World Report November 9, 2010
- Kimberly-Clark Displays Environmental Leadership with Carbon Offsetting Program - Reliable Plant November 8, 2010
- Kimberly-Clark to Offset Trade Show Carbon Footprint - Waste & Recycling News November 8, 2010
- Top CEOs and Entrepreneurs Assemble at 2010 Ernst & Young Strategic Growth Forum -EarthTimes November 8, 2010
- BBB Honours Companies’ Excellence - Vancouver Sun October 27, 2010
- Nika Water is Giving Back to Those in Need - Business Review October 27, 2010
- Climate Change is a Central Issue to Top-Ranked Companies in Newsweek’s 2010 Green Rankings - TreeHugger/Discovery October 19, 2010
- SAP, Carbonfund.org Spruce Up Sustainability Management Software - ZDNet October 8, 2010
- The Androids of Autumn - MSNBC October 7, 2010
- In-Flight Tech: Which Airlines Have the Best? - Fox News October 4, 2010
- Globe’s Best Gamers Converge in Los Angeles for the World Cyber Games 2010 - ReutersSeptember 30, 2010
- The Lowdown on Buying Carbon Offsets - Small Business Trends September 29, 2010
- Founder of TripAlertz.com Announces Plans to Donate Up to $132,000 to Haiti Rebuilding Efforts- EarthTimes September 28, 2010
- Web Tool Aims to Take the Sting out of Carbon Accounting - SmartBrief September 17, 2010
- Carbonfund.org Online Tool Simplifies Carbon Accounting, Management - Environmental LeaderSeptember 16, 2010
- Carbonfund.org’s Carbon ExpressTrack Aims to Simplify Carbon Management and Accounting -GREEN.BLORGE September 15, 2010
- Online Tool Simplifies Carbon Accounting & Management - Greenerfacilities.org September 15, 2010
- New Online Carbon Accounting Tool Offers Easy, Affordable Way to Track Emissions -Environment Guru September 15, 2010
- FloraPatch Sleeves To Reshape The Fresh Cut Industry - PerishableNews.com September 2, 2010
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint with Carbon Credits - AOL September 1, 2010
- Greening the Web with Greenscroll - The CSR Digest August 30, 2010
- Going Carbon Neutral: Does It Pay? - Environmental Leader August 26, 2010
- Major Certification Conference Goes CarbonFree® - Justmeans August 24, 2010
- Green Teleconferencing: The Wave of the Future - Mother Nature Network August 19, 2010
- Eric Carlson on Travel Offsetting - KOA Newsradio 850 Denver August 12, 2010
- Sustainable Ballard Shares Ideas on Creating a Greener Seattle - Ballard News Tribune August 10, 2010
- World’s 5 Greenest Cell Phones and Where to Buy Them - CalFinder August 10, 2010
- AWGS Partners with Green Bride Guide - American Drycleaner August 3, 2010
- 2011 Honda CR-Z Hybrid is a Sporty Eco-activist - LA Times July 29, 2010
- Aaron Gobert to Ride New Brammo Empulse RR at Red Bull Grand Prix Mazda Raceway -Motorcyclist Magazine July 25, 2010
- Lexon Technologies, Inc. Enters Into Letter of Intent to Merge With INTEK America, Inc. - ForbesJuly 12, 2010
- Virgin America Goes International: California’s Airline Toasts New Toronto Flights, Sets Sight on Next Routes - Travel Industry Today June 30, 2010
- Eco-Friendly Wedding Gown Preservation Service Now Standard at Janet Davis Cleaners - Earth Times June 28, 2010
- Travel Green, Polish Your Résumé, Clean an iPhone Mic - Computer World June 14, 2010
- Credo Mobile Phone - Technorati June 2, 2010
- Going Carbon Zero - Technorati June 4, 2010
- Whole Foods Market Kicks Off 30th Birthday Celebration - MarketWatch June 1, 2010
- While Haiti Recovers, Hurricane Season Looms - The Washington Post May 21, 2010
- PlanetShoes.com and Participating Brands Raise 2,615 Trees for the CarbonFund.org Million Tree Challenge - PR Web May 25, 2010
- Flying the Earth-Friendly Skies - The Boston Globe - Globe 100 Special Section May 18, 2010
- Recycle Electronics and Help Charities, Too - Wilmington Star News May 13, 2010
- Blazing A Green Trail: Can IT Lead The Way? - Leesburg Today May 12, 2010
- Should You Go “Carbon Neutral”? - Minneapolis Star Tribune May 11, 2010
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills - U.S. News & World Report May 4, 2010
- MyDailyApp – WWF EcoGuru, Carbonfund.org Calculator and Climate Mission - Nokia Conversations April 26, 2010
- WIRED And YouRenew.com Launch Earth Day Partnership and One Month Challenge to Consumers - Environmental Expert April 22, 2010
- Mac-Gray Campus Solutions Promotes ‘Celebrate Earth’ Campaign in Recognition of 40th Anniversary of Earth Day - MarketWatch April 22, 2010
- Branson Kicks Off Carbon War Room Campaign For Entrepreneurs - Gaebler.com April 22, 2010
- Indian Green Energy Entrepreneur Named ‘Champion of Earth’ - Economic Times April 22, 2010
- All AWGS Preservations Now Carbon-Neutral - American Drycleaner (Crain Communications) April 21, 2010
- Carbon Capitalism: Boyd Cohen’s Quest to Offset Carbon, One Brick at a Time - Care2 April 18, 2010
- Buying Credits to Offset Emissions - WSJ Personal Journal - The Wall Street Journal April 15, 2010
- Amtrak on Target to Break Ridership Record - Mother Nature Network April 9, 2010
- Carbon Offsets 101 - SmarterTravel April 7, 2010
- Citi Increases Contributions to the New ‘CauseWorld’ App from shopkick, Inc. - The Wall Street Journal Mar. 9, 2010
- Costco.com Now Offering World’s First CarbonFree® Certified Paper Shredder - Fox Business Feb. 4, 2010
- Costco.com Now Offering World’s First CarbonFree® Certified Paper Shredder - Baltimore Business Journal Feb. 4, 2010
- Soylar Candles Embraces Green Movement - Gazettes Town-News (Long Beach, CA) Jan. 27, 2010
- CauseWorld: Changing the World One Mirco-Donation at a Time - 148Apps Jan. 14, 2010
- The CauseWorld Mobile App: Go Shopping, Earn Karma, Save the Planet - TreeHugger Jan. 13, 2010
- Brothers Offer a Way to Lighten Your Load at the Mailbox - Washington Post Jan. 5, 2010
- Census Bureau Launches 2010 Census Road Tour Across Nation - Reuters Jan. 4, 2010
- More iPhone Apps to Help You Improve Goodness - Tonic Dec. 30, 2009
- Online Charities Make Final Push for 2009 - Marketing VOX Dec. 30, 2009
- Private Sector Can Lead on Carbon Issues - Daily Commercial News Dec. 30, 2009
- Mt. Juliet Man Saves Wedding Gowns - The Tennessean Dec. 30, 2009
- Green Travel - South Carolina Now Dec. 27, 2009
- Moving Towards a Greener New Year - Express Buzz Dec. 26, 2009
- Vivienne Westwood and Anvil Knitwear, Inc. Collaborate on Sustainable T-Shirt to Stop Deforestation - Yahoo News Dec. 16, 2009
- The Haunting, Beautiful “Unchopping a Tree” Video You Must See - The Daily Green Dec. 16, 2009
- Maya Lin to Debut ‘Unchopping a Tree’ at Support REDD+ Gala at COP15 - The Energy Daily Dec. 16, 2009
- Having a Green Christmas - Welland Tribune Dec. 15, 2009
- Discovery to Air Jetta TDI Cup Documentary “Racing Under Green” Jan. 18 - AOL Autos Dec. 11, 2009
- One Million Trips Down the Road Not Taken - CNNMoney.com Dec. 10, 2009
- Green Holiday Shopping: Green Gadgets - Green.Blorge / Blorge Dec. 7, 2009
- Greening Your Air Travel - WAMU-FM / NPR Washington, DC November 23, 2009
- Maryland GreenHawks Put a New Spin on Recycling - Washington Post November 19, 2009
- Bambeco, Stylish Eco Retailer and Purveyor of Fashionable Green Products for the Home, Announces Ten Easy Tips to Green Your Holiday - Fox Business November 13, 2009
- NASCAR, Rooted in Fossil Fuels, Turning Over New, Green Leaf - USA Today October 28, 2009
- Venom Introduces First Carbon Neutral Alkaline Batteries - TreeHugger October 26, 2009
- Venom’s Carbon Neutral Batteries Are Here - Green.Blorge October 24, 2009
- iPipeline Launches iGO e-App Green Initiative - Reuters October 22, 2009
- End Global Warming: Buy a Carbon Offset - Tonic October 15, 2009
- How Virgin America Does “Green” - in a Big Way - Gadling October 15, 2009
- Motorola Workers Tackle Buckthorn as Part of Global Day of Service - Chicago Daily Herald October 14, 2009
- Getting the Most Out of Carbon Offsets - Compliance Week August 11, 2009
- RPN & Carbonfund.org Publish Purchasing Guide for Carbon Offsets - EarthTimes July 30, 2009
- Webinar: Purchasing Carbon Offsets for Businesses & Institutions - GreenBiz July 23, 2009
- Greenspeak - Redbook (Hearst) July 16, 2009
- North American Bands Playing to Greener Tune - Agence France Presse / AFP July 14, 2009
- Are Eco-Resorts Really Green? - U.S. News & World Report July 10, 2009
- Carbon Offsets in Waxman-Markey Climate Bill Make Economic Sense - The Examiner June 30, 2009
- Economics Expert to Assess Carbon Offsets at Press Club Newsmaker - Nat’l Press Club June 24, 2009
- Motorola Takes a Giant Step for the Earth - Earth 911 June 15, 2009
- 10 Tips on How To Be a Green Wedding Guest - The Examiner June 12, 2009
- Out and Proud and Green - Mother Nature Network June 11, 2009
- AWGS Helps Brides Reduce Carbon Footprint - American Drycleaner June 06, 2009
- Wedding Gown Specialists Offer ZeroCarbonTM Wedding Gown Preservation - Bridesmaid.com June 1, 2009
- Green Fuel Card Revealed - Fleet Owner May 21, 2009
- LG 160 (Credo Mobile) - CNET Reviews May 18, 2009
- Saving the Past, and the Future, with Furniture Created from Reclaimed Wood - KABC-TV Los Angeles May 11, 2009
- Energy Management Services Partners with Carbonfund.org - AME Info May 06,2009
- Motorola Reduces Carbon Footprint 20% From 2005 Levels - Environmental Leader May 05, 2009
- Motorola Celebrates 80 Years of Advancing the Way the World Connects in 2008 Corporate Responsibility Report - CSR Wire May 05, 2009
- Hyundai Genesis Sales Pay for Forest Preservation and Restoration Projects - AutoBlog Green May 1, 2009
- Seven Easy Ways to Conserve - ABC13.com April 22, 2009
CarbonFree® Product Certification is a meaningful, transparent way for you to provide environmentally-friendly, carbon neutral products to your customers. By determining a product’s carbon footprint, reducing it where possible and offsetting remaining emissions through our third-party validated carbon reduction projects, you can:
- Differentiate your brand and product
- Increase sales
- Improve customer loyalty
- Strengthen corporate social responsibility & environmental goals
See Our Certified Products
Leading companies are experiencing the benefits of their CarbonFree® Product Certification.
Click here to view other CarbonFree Certified Products.
“The CarbonFree Product Certification has had a positive impact on sales and, more importantly in my mind, since the certification we have seen an increase in overall customer retention and satisfaction.”
—Kelsey Marshall, Co-founder, Grounds for Change
Get Started in Three Easy Steps:
- Energy Efficiency
- Renewable Energy
- Use our CarbonFree logo
- Blogs and newsletter articles
- Custom web page and more
The Certification Process
- We help you conduct a product life-cycle assessment using the CarbonFree® Product Certification Carbon Footprint Protocol
- Certify your product(s) CarbonFree
- Identify ways to reduce your product's footprint
- Offset the product’s carbon footprint
- Review life-cycle assessment annually
We provide incentive for companies lowering a product’s carbon footprint by at least 10 percent!
You may find your own cost savings in the process, while increasing customer satisfaction!
Carbonfund.org conducted a webinar on the CarbonFree® Product Certification Program and more are planned. Please contact us for the webinar Powerpoint deck.
Renewable energy is critical to our fight against climate change. We simply must shift our world to a low-carbon economy and away from oil and coal. Experts agree we need a substantial reduction in CO2 over the next 40-50 years and this means we need renewable energy to replace fossil fuels now.
Carbonfund.org supports renewable energy and methane projects because they are not as cheap as coal, at least not yet. Your support is reducing CO2 emissions today and spurring investment tomorrow to help drive down the costs and hasten the transition to a clean energy future.
Renewable energy projects tend to be located outside crowded urban areas, helping smaller, local economies while reducing our reliance on fossil and foreign energy resources. Our renewable energy carbon offset projects meet the toughest industry standards and are third-party verified to ensure the highest quality. Read more about project selection.
Fight global warming now. Support these projects today!
Carbonfund.org supports three types of carbon offset projects; each type plays an important role in the fight against climate change. The projects we support are third-party certified to meet the same high standards that thousands of companies, organizations, and governments rely on to ensure quality environmental protection.
Our projects are third-party certified to the highest international standards, and our project portfolio is audited annually and available online. Read more in project standards.
Your Carbon, Your Choice™
We know some people prefer renewable energy, while others prefer trees or efficiency. So we figured it’s your carbon, your choice. When you donate, you have the option of selecting your preferred carbon offset type.
carbonfund.org's quality assurance protocol
At Carbonfund.org, we are committed to supporting and providing the highest quality carbon reduction projects. For this purpose, we developed the Carbonfund.org Quality Assurance Protocol which ensures that every project meets or exceeds international certification standards and our additional set of criteria before it qualifies to be a part of our project portfolio.
Third-Parties Make the Quality
Carbonfund.org supports the highest quality carbon reduction projects in the world. Whether it’s heat-trapping methane emissions on a Connecticut dairy farm or protecting Brazilian rainforests from slash and burn deforestation, we ensure our projects meet the highest global standards.
The hallmarks of our quality carbon reduction projects are:
- Third-party certification standards (see below)
- Third-party validation and on-going verification that projects meet those standards
- Third-party annual audit.
Carbonfund.org supports and develops projects from around the world to leading certification standards. We can help your company identify projects adhering to any of the following standards:
|Carbon Reduction Third-Party Certification Standards|
| American Carbon Registry
Chicago Climate Exchange
Clean Development Mechanism
Climate Action Reserve
Climate, Community & Biodiversity Standards
| Joint Implementation
Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
Verified Carbon Standard
California Carbon Offsets
All carbon offset projects are held to a uniform set of benchmarks to maintain a consistently high level of quality. Our standards, as well as those of leading certification bodies, address these essential criteria for carbon reduction projects:
Real: The quantified greenhouse gas or carbon reductions must represent actual emission reductions. These reductions are based on approved methodologies or protocols which require rigorous monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) of the project’s activities.
Additional: Additionality requires the carbon emission reductions to be above and beyond business as usual. This means reductions are additional if they would not have occurred in the absence of the project. Importantly, additionality should be determined by an independent third-party, a requirement for internationally accepted standards. Additionality should not be self-determined and should not be self-defined, as each internationally accepted standard defines it. For example, the Environmental Protection Agency, and most other standards, define additionality as greenhouse gas reductions that must be surplus to regulation and beyond what would have happened in the absence of the project or in a business-as-usual scenario based on a performance standard methodology.
Permanent: Permanence is commonly referred to as the useful life of a project in reducing carbon emissions. Third-party standards such as the Climate Action Reserve, Verified Carbon Standard, Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standards, American Carbon Registry and the United Nations Clean Development Mechanism all address and account for permanence. These and other third-party standards also address permanence for forest-based carbon offset projects such as reforestation and avoided deforestation. A project should be independently certified to a standard to ensure permanence and other criteria for real carbon reductions are met.
Verifiable: The greenhouse gas or carbon reductions must result from projects whose performance can be readily and accurately quantified, monitored and verified by independent, third-party auditors.
Leakage: Leakage is the positive or negative impacts of a project on the surrounding area outside the project’s boundary. Carbonfund.org works with projects with the least likelihood of creating negative impacts.
Carbonfund.org’s Additional Qualifying Criteria
In addition to projects being certified to leading international standards, our due diligence process goes even further by looking at additional qualifying criteria to assess projects. Our Portfolio includes projects that benefit the local environments in which they take place and contribute to the global effort against climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Our review process evaluates projects based on:
Climate change is a global concern and we all need to be a part of the solution. By selecting projects across the US, as well as internationally, we are able to facilitate action from different corners of the world.
The geographic location is also an important factor in determining the type of project. For instance, Brazil and Nicaragua have rich tropical rainforests that sequester carbon dioxide, while the US’s Great Plains are ideal for wind projects.
One of our goals is to make clean-energy affordable and cost less than its dirty counterparts such as coal. Carbonfund.org seeks to work with projects that have the potential to lead to vast market transformation in and around the project's location. This enables our funding to be leveraged and act as a catalyst for our clean energy future.
The additional co-benefits we look for in projects can be categorized as benefits for the environment and social benefits.
In addition to greenhouse gas mitigation or sequestration, many projects provide a range of additional ecosystem services that enhance biodiversity, preserve natural habitats, control erosion, reduce localized air and water pollution, and more.
The projects we select not only benefit the environment but also improve the socio-economic conditions by providing clean energy, creating jobs, technological advancement, opportunities conducive to trade and development of the community as a whole.
An Inspiring Story
Climate change touches all of us and Carbonfund.org supports projects which help in a meaningful way. We emphasize projects which tell an inspiring story and to which people can relate - whether it is protecting rainforests, restoring croplands back to native forests, or creating jobs for local communities and indigenous people.