news & media (1228)
- It's not actually that cold - it is cold right now, but it is not like every place is setting record lows. Some might even say that winters like this are more like the winters we used to have; but due to a recent string of warmer than average winters this one just feels colder.
- Some places are really hot right now- Australia and New Zealand are currently in the midst of record heat waves, and Bulgaria is close to 72 degrees right now. The 2000s were the hottest decade on record, with the 1990s closely trailing. In fact, over the last ten years, the only continent to not experience warmer than average temperatures was North America.
- Nobody said it would never get cold again - Winter is supposed to be colder than Summer - and a cold streak is perfectly reasonable in winter. But with global warming, the incidence of record cold days to record warm days has shown a measurable and significant drop over the last 60 years.
- People have short-term memories - it is hard to remember the summer heat when you are bundled up, your toes are cold and your nose is running like a faucet.
- People confuse weather with climate - it is nearly impossible to link any single weather event to global warming - hot or cold, catastrophic or normal - there are just too many factors at play. So one cold streak doesn't disprove global warming just like one warm streak doesn't prove it. The best measures of the climate come from scientific analysis and from observing long term trends.
Project Name:: Chino Basin Dairy Farm BiodigesterLocation: Chino Basin, California Project type: Waste-to-Energy Biodigester Standard: American Carbon Registry / Environmental Resources Trust’s Monitoring, Reporting & Verification Protocol Verification/Validation: Environmental Resources Trust
- Mitigates climate change
- Waste management
- Odor control and less localized air pollution
- Reduction of local water pollution
- Locally sourced, renewable energy
- Development of new technologies and additional jobs created
Carbonfund.org supports the Chino Basin Dairy Farm Biodigester Project because it helps to reduce methane emissions and lessens the impact of global climate change. Biodigesters capture the methane generated by manure and transform it into a clean, renewable energy source. This particular biodigester collects manure from ten local dairy farms and is responsible for reducing more than 8,000 tons of CO2 equivalent emissions from the atmosphere every year, while also supporting local farmers and protecting the quality of the region’s groundwater.From 2003 to 2009, the Chino Basin Dairy Farm Biodigester mitigated nearly 30,000 metric tons of CO2. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Climate Leaders Program notes that more than two billion livestock exist in the US and account for 7% for anthropogenic methane emissions.
Photo GalleryCalculate and offset your footprint now>>
- Reached 5 billion pounds of CO2 reduced through carbon reduction projects around the globe;
- Supported innovative projects like India's Neria low-impact hydroelectric project which generates clean power, helps create jobs and local investment in clean technologies;
- Received the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standards (CCBS) and Voluntary Carbon Standard (VCS) dual validation for the 1,870 acre Tensas River National Wildlife Refuge Reforestation Project in Louisiana;
- Certified new products including Motorola's Renew W233 mobile phone as CarbonFree®, the leading carbon neutral product label in the world;
- Joined the 1Sky, 350, TckTckTck, and the Clean Energy Works coalitions;
- Was featured in USA Today, US News, Mother Nature Network, among many others, and participated in Earth Day on the National Mall;
- Participated in Maya Lin's What is Missing? campaign on deforestation;
- Added Motorola, Transamerica, Samsung and numerous small and start-up businesses to the CarbonFree® business program, promoting the message: "Reduce What You Can, Offset What You Can't™."
If you've still got names on your gift list to check off, giving Carbonfund.org E-Certificates is fast, meaningful and affordable! You can help someone reduce their carbon footprint, from as little as $10 or a custom donation amount, and within minutes- even seconds- receive a framable e-certificate made out in your recipient's name. The e-certificate recognizes their support for renewable energy, energy efficiency or reforestation projects that are fighting global warming. Be sure to take advantage of Carbonfund.org's bonus offers this year! Carbonfund.org will plant a tree in your honor for every $20 donated. You can also get a reusable Carbonfund.org Chico Bag to carry your shopping or groceries for every $50 donated while supplies last. So what are you waiting for? Click here to shop now!