news & media (1199)
1. Avoid Air Conditioning Overkill Yes, I know, air conditioning provides respite from heat waves and dreadful humidity, but we should still take steps to avoid overuse. For starters, turn off the air conditioning when no one is home! It is a waste of energy and your money. Also, turn the thermostat up a few degrees so that the AC comes on only when it is truly unbearably hot. It will go a long way towards saving cash and protecting the environment.
2. Keep it Local Enjoy local activities like going to the park or spending the day at the beach. Invite your family and friends to make the trip more fun and exciting! Reading a book and playing frisbee is much more environmentally friendly than say, taking a long road trip.3. Barbecue in Green Style BBQs are a classic summer pastime, but did you know that propane burns much cleaner than wood or charcoal? Keep this in mind the next time you need to invest in a new grill. Also, use reusable plates and utensils rather than paper or Styrofoam. This cuts down significantly on environmental waste and saves money if you tend to host a lot of BBQs. 4. Easy on the Water It can be tempting to take multiple showers a day during the dog days of summer, but why not cool off by taking a swim instead? If you don’t have your own backyard pool, many towns have community pools or beaches for residents to enjoy. While we’re on the topic of water, try using reusable water bottles as opposed to disposable plastic ones. 5. Travel in an Eco-friendly Way Vacations are a staple of the summer season. The carbon emissions produced from automobiles, trains, and airplanes can be substantial, however. Here are two ways to plan your vacation to be as green as possible:
- Internal recycling and energy conservation
- Option for customers to give back by planting trees through the American Forest Global ReLeaf Fund
- Offsetting carbon emissions through its CarbonFree® Partnership with Carbonfund.org
CarbonFree® Partner A2 Hosting has recently announced they will be donating to Carbonfund.org to plant trees for each web hosting package they sell during the month of June in support of our Million Tree Challenge. Each tree A2 Hosting plants will be matched 2-to-1 by Carbonfund.org, for a total of three trees planted.The Million Tree Challenge lets organizations and individuals donate to plant trees to help reduce climate change, improve air quality and help preserve the Earth's delicate ecosystem. Moreover, we are directing current Million Tree Challenge donations to tree planting in Haiti to help reduce floods and landslides in the earthquake-ravaged country. To learn more or donate to the Million Tree Challenge visit: www.carbonfund.org/trees. A2 Hosting, Inc. is an award winning Linux-based web hosting company providing their customers with 24/7 real support. Their range of services include affordable, developer friendly website hosting for personal homepages up to full service solutions for businesses of all sizes. FutureServe Green Hosting is A2 Hosting's initiative to protect the environment. Some of A2 Hosting's green friendly practices, in addition to their partnership with us, include employee telecommuting practices, recycling older equipment for customers with lower resource needs, using low-voltage Xeon processors and using reusable office supplies. To learn more visit, please visit www.a2hosting.com.